The Savigliano factory (SNOS)
The National Company Officine Savigliano (SNOS), founded in Savigliano in 1879, opened its headquarters in Turin in 1899 for the mechanical, metallic, electrical, railway and tramway production. In the twenties of the twentieth century this factory extended over an area of 55,000 sq. meters, 45,000 covered, and more than 1,000 worked inside it. During the twentieth century it was the scene of great workers’ mobilizations: the strikes of 1907, the occupations of the so-called “Biennio Rosso” (1920-21), the insurrectional clashes for the Liberations of Turin in 1945. The building is the result of the enlargement of 1917-1918, a project by the architect Enrico Bonicelli.